Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Cold Chicken

I've had one of my two hens missing for over two weeks. We're having an unusual early cold snap for North Florida, so last night I was going out to blanket my ponies and heard this unmistakable loud peeping coming from near my pump house. I went back in the house to get a flashlight and see what it was.... it sure sounded like a little chickie. When I found the little guy, he was cuddled up against the outside of the shed, peeping his little heart out, and two siblings were laying motionless next to him. I gathered them up, put them in a cardboard cat carrier and went searching for momma hen. (this particular hen has never let me get close to her) I found her in the pump house (really just a shed), in the corner, behind some plastic bins. She was apparently keeping some other babies warm underneath her...I could see some broken egg shells around her. I took the strong chick and pushed it underneath her as well while she pecked away at my hand. Since it was supposed to be below freezing during the night, I rigged up a light in there to hopefully keep it a little warmer for her and her babies, put some scratch and water near her and let her be. Not that a chicken can be grateful, but she did start eating right away. Next, I took the two nearly lifeless chicks in the house with me and warmed them up in my hands next to my body. The little buggers came back strong, peeping and squirming.....I thought they were goners. Anyway, long story short - I fixed up the cat box with a heating pad and towel....they settled in and slept the night away in our bedroom. When I peeked in this morning - they were both alive and well! My husband is off today and will get some starter feed....and we'll probably try to get them back with their Mom today as it warms up. Since I'm no chicken expert, I was glad to have a friend that I could call for advice and moral support last night. Thanks Liz!

3 comments:

  1. Awww....my sister, the chicken whisperer!

    I can't believe you didn't call me last night and share your adventure with me.

    So how many new chickens are going to be chasing us around the backyard now?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for you! I bet those chick enjoyed the stay in your room with you. I am glad they made it. It has been super cold here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. Good for you rescuing those lost little peepers.
    It seems so long ago that my chickens were so small.

    ~Lisa
    New Mexico

    ps. I love the way you changed your blog. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Glad you stopped by - I look forward to returning the visit to your blog.