Sunday, July 28, 2013

Bellyache

I headed out to feed the horses before church this morning and found Stylin down in Dixie's stall looking pitiful and looking at her belly.  I knew she was colicking, so I called Mom to let her know that I wouldn't be picking her up for church, but would check in with her later.

Looking at her tummy

I got her up and tied her to the trailer so that I could get her pulse and listen for gut sounds before I did anything.  My vet is a stickler for me to have this information before I call.  Pulse was 36, respiration 28 and she kept wanting to lay back down, so I gave her a shot of banamine and started walking her around the yard. I walked her for about 45 minutes and let her lay down a couple of times.  I believe in letting the horse lie down if it makes them feel better as long as they are not rolling back and forth.  When she was lying there and started eating grass, I knew she was feeling a little better.  We walked some more and then she started grazing in earnest.  She was feeling much better.

Eating while she was laying there - starting to feel better


I hosed her off then put her in her stall with some hay and fresh water to wait for the poop to come.  I wouldn't feel good until I saw several piles of fresh poo on the ground.


She didn't try to lay down anymore, so I felt comfortable enough to go to breakfast with Mom and my husband.  I knew I could swing back by to check on her.

By noon we had one pile and then by 3:15, she had drunk her water finished her hay and put two more piles down.  I felt good enough about her to cut her loose with the other girls.

Glad I didn't have to call the vet and that my pony is feeling okay.  I checked on her again 30 minutes ago and all is peaceful.


3 comments:

  1. My boys scared me a few weeks ago. Glad she is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad she is OK, If you need Banamine-I have PLENTY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for taking such good care of her. I'm glad she came through just fine :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Glad you stopped by - I look forward to returning the visit to your blog.